Hi there family and friends
I thought I would take a few moments to hopefully put some minds at ease. I have spent in total 6 years in the Middle East during my career, with 3 recent trips here in Kuwait. Over this time I have gained not just experience in the region, but an actual sense of what's safe and what requires that 'extra' bit of attention.
When the opportunity first presented its self to us to move to Kuwait , I was not concerned at all as I knew how safe Kuwait can be. What concerned me most was how Danielle would react to the cultural shock wave that was about to wash over her like a tsunami!
As those of you who have kept up with our travels over the years will know, I have subjected Danielle to one cultural shock after another each of which she has taken totally in her stride. I am happy to report that so far she has really taken to Kuwait. I have come to recognize the signs when new sights, history and cultures grab her attention and this is one of those places (there is even talk of language school!)
The one thing that always helps Danielle is regular contact with her family and friends. I have no real way of expressing how much this means to her. I can always tell when I get home when a 'message from home' has made its way through, she has a smile ear to ear!! So, I'd like to say a big thank you to everyone for your input.
I hope this little addition to her page will help those of you who are concerned regarding our location. I have often been accused of being over protective of Danielle, I make no apologies for that and hope it helps put some minds at rest.
4 comments:
being completely honest here, i don't know if my mind will ever be completely at ease while ya'll are over there. i do know that you would never bring danielle to a place that you did not feel she would be completely safe. in that i feel total confidence. but being on the "outside looking in" it still seems pretty wild.
btw, danielle, just fyi. gma got moved into jw's today. she seemed in good spirits. they even found some pics from jw's wedding to mikey and you were in them wearing that dress that i always remember being on the doll. the lavender/purple one. gma said she made all of those dresses. jw's train was soooooo long!
Just wanted to let you know that I read the blog Andrew posted. I have to admit that I have never been worried about the placed you two have chosen to go to. There are some people who love to travel and can usually acclimate fairly well to different culural regions. And I have to say, I often have been very jealous of all the cool and interesting places you two have been to.
waiting for another update....
Post a Comment