We made our first attempt at an embroidery project on our new Bernina 830. We went into the local dealer for a lesson but as she didn't really speak much english and her machine kept breaking it was more a waste of time than anything. So, we decided to just jump in the deep end and try it for ourselves. It was a lot of fun and once we made it through all the selections for the design and thread colors it was pretty easy. We bought a set of red table napkins to practice on and I think they will make great Christmas decorations or perhaps a gift for someone. If nothing else we both had a lot of fun working together on the machine and then sitting back and watching it do all the work!
The other thing I attempted this weekend is to learn to draw. I have never considered myself the least bit artsy as I seem to have trouble drawing straight lines and cutting out things. When I was required to take art class in school I was a solid "C" student and I suspect that was just because the teacher felt sorry for me more than I actually earned it!
But I am determined to become a good quilter and I think the only way to do that is to become better at drawing shapes and angles and just generally objects that could be used as art on a quilt. I found a website that teaches free motion quilting and the lady starts out by first drawing on paper to get the feel of how the lines would work on a quilt. I have to say I was pretty impressed with my first attempt and am hoping that if I can transfer this thought process to fabric and begin working it into my quilting technic as well. I am going to put my kaleidoscope quilt on the frame next and as it is made from floral fabric I thought it would be good to use things you would find in a garden. So, I tried snails, bumble bees, spiders, butterflies, turtles, bean stalks, mushrooms and a ying/yang sign. I also threw in some feathers and circles for fillers.
And now for a Christmas tale to leave you with....
Twas the night before Christmas, I'm glued to the tree.
I'm wondering what Santa brought just for me.
Could it be fat quarters or a pattern or lace?
Or a quilt kit, I said, with a smile on my face.
And that's when I heard him,
"Hi Santa," I said
"You know....good little girls should be in their beds ".
"I know I should Santa, and now I've got caught.
But I was just so excited to see what you brought."
"Well, let's take a look in this room where you work."
He shook his head quickly, And left with a jerk.
I heard him exclaim as he put it in gear.
"You've got enough stuff, I'll see you next year!"
I think Santa is right this year! Hope he visits your house instead.
4 comments:
Love the napkins! Love the drawing! I think you did a great job! I am excited to see it on the quilt! And the poem is very cute! Did you actually come up with that??? Santa needs to bring me a Bernina embroidery machine!!!
Cool drawings!!! You know sublime stitching has a book similar to this principle called Doodle. (Of course she is hand embrodiery.)Anyhow your doodles look cool. Sounds like you are having lots of fun with your new baby already. I have gone to my embrodiery lesson 3 times with no success. The embrodiery module is at the shop for evaluation :-(
Your work is truly amazing - I'm inspired to get myself into classes in 2010 and get back to quilting. It's amazing how much you accomplish! Now we found you blog site again I love reading it - have a great 2010
That's a bummer about your embroidery module, Cassie. I am not sure how much I will use mine but at this point I think it is more because I don't really understand it. Andrew wants me to make a quilt with embroidery blocks in it. One more for the 'To Do' list! I think it would be great Kathleen if you take some classes and then we can share what we learn with each other in April. Hope everyone has a great 2010!
Post a Comment