Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Fabric shopping

I got the call that every woman waits for.....the new cottons are in the shops!  My quilting friend, Kathi, and I hit the fabric souq yesterday and the choices were absolutely overwhelming.  We didn't know where to start because we really have just a handful of shops that we frequent because the merchants are used to selling the fabric to us for 1 KWD ($3.46) a meter which is about four inches more than a yard.  Not bad, huh?  I have a friend from Texas via Kuwait that just moved to The Netherlands and she said cottons there are going for 28€ a meter.
Anyway, needless to say, I really didn't need any fabric but the colors were just too much for me and I gave into temptations.  I could have bought a lot more but I told myself that I would save those for another day.
Here are some great variegated pieces that I think will produce a bunch of coordinated shades of different colors.
And then I moved on to some browns and reds that I thought would be just good sense to add to my stash, of course!
There are a couple in here that I just can't wait to work into a project.
Then on to some purple, green and blues.
Not sure how I will work these in either but I have to say the thought of working with those purple and green stripes in a border or binding I think will be great.
I moved on to a few pieces of black and whites.  I won't show you the whites because they are just white on white.  But I think these black have a good chance of making it into a black and white quilt this summer.  I particularly like the middle piece and think that it will find a place in my 'Africa' quilt.
And then there were some great novelty prints that I just couldn't pass up either. 
I am thinking of an apron for myself out of the red and white newsprint perhaps.  Not sure about the geisha but she was just too pretty to pass up.  The tiger print will go into the Africa quilt.  The dogs are probably for a footsack for Andrew.  The horse will make a debut in my 'Texas' quilt.  The lime green is for one called 'Sweet and Sour' and the red is for one that I playing around with in my head based on intense colors such as yellow, orange an reds.
But by far, my favorite buy of the day has to be this piece I bought for Andrew. 
It reminded me of Cassie's hunkholders and I just had to have it.  Of course, when I showed it to Andrew he thought it was great but his first response was 'you're not making something that you expect me to wear are you?'   Not sure what I will make for him yet.  If you crafty girls have any ideas I would love to hear them?
And the best part of my day is that I got a little over 80 meters of fabric for around $210!  Woohoo!
Now I just need to spend the day sewing so I can finish up my project and start on something new with some of  these great fabrics!

5 comments:

alisha said...

Oh to have $200 to spend on fabric!!!

Danielle said...

My bad I know but there isn't much else to spend money on over here except groceries! I don't do that amount on fabric very often but I just couldn't resist!

Cher said...

Way to go Danielle !!! If I had only been there a few weeks later!!
But I would have needed another suitcase.

Cher

The Gills said...

I am so jealous of $3.50 a meter fabric!! That's a deal. Can't wait to see what all you make :)

~holly said...

you got some way cool fabric. WAY COOL.