Thursday, March 11, 2010

Andrew's Applique Idea

So my DH has been encouraging me everyday to plug along at getting these three quilts finished before we leave for Texas at the beginning of April.  I have one top complete and the second is getting really close.  I am attaching the separator bands and looking at adding the borders on it this weekend.  Three of the borders should be a no brainer I'm thinking.  The top border is where Andrew came up with his applique idea that we just have to incorporate somehow.  I have only tried applique once and didn't really know what I was doing but it turned out okay, not great, but okay.
Here is his design to go on the top of the horsey quilt.  I think it is really cute and if I can make it work will be very happy. 
Andrew has already fussy cut the horses out and we still have to decide on the background fabric  (probably one of the darker braid colors) and then we will build the stable around the horse and add Ellie's name on the name plate.  I think it is  a really cute idea and will make it a really special gift for her.  So, I guess I will be doing my research on machine applique this weekend and see how it goes.  I have decided to use the double button-hole stitch for the horse to help  it stand out more.  Ricky Tims shared that trick with us in Dubai and a couple of ladies have tried it already.  It makes things look a little 3-D. 
Any tips you ladies have that already know about machine applique would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

alisha said...

Oh I am so excited to see this! Is it coming to Texas with you before you give it to Ellie (in France, right?). Would love to see it in person if possible. But I also understand how far you're travelling and all... Might not be room.