Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Design Wall

Sorry I was missing last week from the Design Wall post but we traveled to the UK on business and didn't get a chance to access the computer.  Unfortunately, I lost all that quilting time but did manage to get to a couple of quilt shops while we were there and pick-up some Superior Threads and a quilt magazine so not a total loss.

I originally thought this was going to be a simple project but just building the stratas alone took me almost a week and then I had to cut the squares out and build the rows.
Here are the blocks on the design wall.

When we returned from the UK I loaded my quilt on the frame and knocked out the free motion quilting in a little over a half a day so I was pretty happy with that part of the project.


  I like the design work and now am ready to consider binding it.  The way I see it I have two options.  One would be to just flip the back over and bind it on the front which I have never done but it seems like a simple enough process.  My concerns is if this will diminsh the look of the quilt and does it really give the quilt a nice finished look. 

My other choice would be to do a traditional mitered binding in a slightly different color than the back but still complimentary to the front. 

I would love to hear from some of you more experience quilters on your thoughts toward binding.  I am just not sure if the flipping over process looks as nice and finished as a traditional binding.  Also, is it as easy as they make it sound?  And any color preferences on the binding?

I will be traveling to the US on Sunday and away from my quilting and computer for the month of April.  Will miss seeing everyone's work but look forward to catching up when I return.  The upside to my trip besides getting to see our families of course will be visting as many quilt shops as possible.  Who knows I may even  find a workshop that's on while I am there.... my DH will be so happy!

7 comments:

Jennie said...

I vote flip it to the front and bind it. That is traditionally how binding was done. Either way, it is a beautiful quilt. good job!

Lynne in Hawaii said...

You can do the flip...or if you have 2 1/2 inches excess cut from the back(call the way around), you can do a traditional binding that matches the back and finishes the front nicely.

Quilter Kathy said...

Back to the front is easy and looks great in my opinion. But I love that striped fabric you have in the quilt, and I would make the binding from that stripe if I had enough of it!

Goblinf said...

Which quilt shops did you go to in the UK? (I live there and have never been to one, I just buy fabric from 'fent shops' & 'fabric merchants' which are left over/ end of run bolts etc.)

Danielle said...

I went to the Patchwork Corner in Hemel Hempstead and Fashion Fabrics in St Albans. Although Fashion Fabrics did not have a lot in the notions department the amount of fabric they have in that one building is really overwhelming! I just had a challenge with paying 9 to 12 gbp per meter when we get such good prices here.

alisha said...

Can't help on the binding at all, but it's looking great!

Cassie J said...

Love how the quilt is looking! The colors and pattern is really cool! Not much help on the binding either.