Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New Year, new hobby

For Christmas this year I had asked for a bread machine.  I was really lucky as I hit the end of year sales before I left the states and picked up a Zojirushi.  I went with this brand because every website and review I looked at rated this one at the top everytime.  We have never been overly impressed with the bread selections in Kuwait and had very little success with baking our own.  Since we couldn't figure out  whether it was the flour or our lack of baking skills I decided a bread machine might help.  This is my first try and I have to say I think it was a pretty good turn out.  It is tomato, basil and parmesan and very yummy.  We had our upstairs neighbors down for Sunday roast.  We prepared beef wellington, broccolini, carrots, new potatoes and yorkshire puddings.  Then for dessert I made chocolate fondant with fresh whipped cream.   Everyone seemed to enjoy it all  as there wasn't much left at the end of the meal.

I a really looking forward to expanding my bread making into something a little heavier and with grains and seeds in it but think I will have to ease Andrew into it to get him to try something new.

I know I have let my blog go for a few months but I will try to catch up and continue to blog in a more timely manor with the new year!

4 comments:

kathleen said...

Your bread looks great - you will have lots of fun with it. I have found using whole grains can be problematic - as they do not necessarily break down i.e. flax seeds and red quinoa stay whole and crunchy and you loose the benefit. So you should soak the red quinoa first before baking. Also buy adding a 1/4 to 1/2 cup of whole grain wheat to a whole wheat bread recipe works well - grainy though - again doesn't really break down well if not soaked. Good results in bringing in whole grains is to use the flakes i.e. oat flakes, barley flakes - they break down nicely and no one knows they aren't white flour - Whole grain rice is okay simply add raw brown rices - simply throw in 1/4 cup (as a substitute) and no will will notice. The key to using whole grain flours is to add fresh lemon juice (whole grains do not produce the glutens). Good luck and have fun - I also add some seeds to the mixes i.e sunflower seeds.

The Gills said...

Mmmm looks yummy! I've heard those bread machines can be very dangerous especially for bread lovers like myself : )

alisha said...

YUMMY! And Meagan is right there. I had to put my machine up so I could start losing weight and stop gaining it.

Cher said...

Welcome back Danielle, your bread looks good. Makes me want to go make some. I'll just eat it all though and that wouldn't be a good thing.

Cher