Okay so I got my order a little mixed up but this is the finished disappearing nine patch that I made for Andrew. It was my very first sewing attempt as I had a lady from the textile group come over after I got my sewing machine and show me such things as how to thread a needle and try to sew a straight sem! She brought a sample of this square and was determined that I would finish one block before she left. I had always heard that if you want to be a serious quilter then your first quilt should be for your husband as he will either be your biggest supporter or worst adversary! So, when Andrew came home from work and saw the block he decided he would like his quilt from this pattern. I had just been to a textile bazaar and bought a bunch of fat quarters so I went to work and this was the fnished product. It was supposed to be a small lap quilt but Andrew said he wanted something to wrap up in at night in front of the TV. I was hoping he might share!
I'm not really that great at the hand work so thankfully I have some good quilting friends that pitched in and took over the binding part. The four of them sat down and had the project finished in about 30 minutes. Aren't friends great! Thanks to them the quilt that I started in January is finished in time for Andrew's birthday which is in July! But now I don't have any UFO's hanging out in my sewing room.
I feel incredibly lucky to have landed in such a multi-talented group of ladies to learn from as a beginner. There are around 50+ ladies that I have met in the quilting group here and all know different tricks and tips to help out in quilting. The wealth of knowledge and willingness to share is amazing from this group and they are all so patient with me.
Now a friend of mine has made a "footsack" (looks like a huge pillowcase but it is quilted on top for warmth) for her husband and there's nothing doing but Andrew has to have one of these as well. So when I get back I guess I will go into footsack production mode before the winter sets in as it gets really cold here and I'm guessing I will have to have my own footsack too.
1 comment:
nice quilt. can't wait to see the footsack!
Post a Comment