Sunday, January 10, 2010

An engineer's mind at work,




Our quilt group flew in a lady, Cheryl Olssen, from Vancouver to do workshops on quilt design and free motion quilting.  I have a couple of tops in the closet but nothing that I wanted to practice on so I asked Andrew to help me cut out some fabric to assemble quickly into a new top.  My only challenge was that the fabric I chose needed to be fussy cut and then the squares will be positioned on point.  That means I need a very specific portion of the fabric and it has to cut so the square sits point-to-point instead of level.  Does that makes sense?  Anyway, I put Andrew on the task and not only did he figure it out but he came up with the great ideal that we should draw the outline of the horses on the ruler with a dry erase marker so that we could easily line up the square again to cut more.  Just another great bonuse to being married to an engineer!  So, hopefully, I will be turning these squares into french braid runs and will have a top to take to the workshop and learn lots of new technics to incorporate into my quilting.  As a bonus, we have just been asked to help host Cheryl so that should give me some great one-on-one time with the teacher and she can help me with my working on my quilt frame.  Our very first house guest here.  Things just keep getting better!
 
Now, for those of you who are suffering with the cold weather, I thought I would share a photo of the plants outside our front door in the sunshine.  We have had a really mild winter so far and I am really enjoying the color that it adds to the front of the house.  Our houseboy, Abbas, planted these before Christmas and they go down the stairs on both sides of the house.  And an extra treat is that he bought several basil plants and added them into the pots as greenery and now I have fresh basil to cook with!

This a picture from our friends in France, John and Jane.  They live about 20 km away from our house and a little further up on a hill.  But I thought it was beautiful the way the fog is frozen in the air outside their front door.  Of course when we are living there in the cold it might not be so beautiful!

2 comments:

Cassie J said...

Andrew could be the next brilliant quilting author??? How exciting to host the teacher!! Wish I had some basil, mine is gone with the cold. Thank goodness not as cold as your new neighborhood in France! Cool pic!

alisha said...

How great it is to have a helpful hubby! Love seeing the plants too. It has been cold here lately. LOVE the pic from your friends in France! We just might be the crazy people who would love to come visit in the winter hoping to get to play in all that snow! :P