Monday, August 4, 2008

Hearts in my Cabin



This top is from a quilting class I took at a small quilt shop in Rockwall. I took it in February right after my beginner's quilting class that I did the sampler quilt in and I think I was much better prepared for learning. The lady who taught me was great to work with and she taught me a bunch of great tricks and tips for quilting. One of the best was how to press my fabric correctly. I put together the 25 blocks in a day and a half and then took them home and put them on a shelf. After I completed the butterfly quilt I picked the blocks up and thought it was time to assemble them and get the borders on to see what the finished product looked like. I have to say the pieced border was a lot more work but I think it was well worth it because it really ties together all the crazy fabric I used in the blocks. This was also my first attempt at applique. I have to say once I decided on which stitch to use to apply the hearts it went pretty fast. The pattern called for a heart on each square but I just couldn't see covering up that great nine patch in the middle when it took so much time to put it together!
After I quilted Andrew's disappearing nine patch top my machine started acting up because the batting was too thick and the man who repairs the Berninas here is gone for vacation. So I haven't had a chance to quilt this one yet. When I was taking my class everyone kept asking me who this one would be for but I still haven't decided that one yet.

2 comments:

~holly said...

i know who the quilt is for.....ME!

~holly said...

BTW, NICE job! I LOVE IT! such detailed work. it's absolutely beautiful.