Sunday, January 18, 2009

My finished quilts



This is the quilt top I finished for the Lone Star quilt class that I started in October. I have to say that when I saw the pattern the teacher had picked out this time I thought I was in way over my head. The funny part is that it really couldn't have been much easier for me. Not that I am particularly good but I had a fantastic teacher who was incredibly patient and I was just more confident and relaxed this time around. My points came together effortlessly and the more I finished the more I wanted to work on it because I could really see it coming together.

When I started this class I really didn't have a clue what I would do with the two finished quilts but it didn't take long for me to figure that out. When I finished the class I went to Dallas to visit my Mother and family and took the two finished tops with me to show to them. I have now finished seven quilts in my first year and with the exception of a couple my Mother and sister have done the hand work for me of finishing the binding as my hands just aren't up for the job anymore. I didn't tell them but I already knew that I would give the Lone Star to my Mother and the Around the Twist to my eldest sister, Jawana, for Christmas. They have both done so much to encourage me in my new passion and help see my tasks completed it just felt like the right thing to do. (Besides, you have to keep those binders happy, right?!)

My biggest challenge was the Around the Twist that we did in the same class. For some reason everyone else thought this was the easier of the two assignments and I just struggled. I couldn't see the way the pattern was supposed to come together and finally had to have help from the teacher to lay it out properly but we got there in the end. Andrew picked out the colours and I think he did a great job as everyone has commented on how well they compliment each other.



I enjoyed the Lone Star pattern so much that I am now making one for myself as a sofa quilt. I decided to make it out of my favorite colours so it started out based on pinks and purples but then I then I thought I would add in some yellow. So I am hoping that this will work out and really make the star pop out as the center of the quilt.



I am hoping to finish this quilt sometime in the next couple of days and start on the quilt sandwich. In the meantime, I am waiting for the beginning of my next class which will be with the same women I did the last class with but we will be doing two new patterns. One is called a kook kaledioscope and the other a 3D mariner's star. Don't have a clue on the colours or what I will do with them but it always comes to me along the way.

2 comments:

alisha said...

Oh the quilts are beautiful! I have to say, the one you are making for yourself is my favorite! The colors are great and it really does pop with that yellow in there. LOVE IT!

~holly said...

i swear i left a comment here too. maybe i got sidetracked and forgot to come back to comment. anyways, your quilts are beyond awesome. really you are the reason i decided to give quilting another shot. so thank you for the inspiration.